Two Steps Forward, One Back
Not much to show for yesterday and today. Tweaked the members home page a bit and added the long awaited ability to delete existing WebQuests in one's workspace. In some of the earlier workshops when the system kept timing out on people, they ended up with a load of Untitled, empty WebQuests. Now those can be deleted.Also added an Overview page which, based on my experience with the equivalent page at the SDSU WebQuest site, will get a lot of hits.
But then I learned from one SDSU colleague that there's a problem with the publication script. Turns out that the WYSIWYG editor is inconsistent with the way it saves the path names for the image files. Sometimes it puts in an absolute link, other times it's relative. As long as the published page stays here on QuestGarden, the absolutely linked images will show up and the others won't. And if they move the lesson elsewhere, all the image links will go bad. Same is true when I move this whole thing to questgarden.com (which better be soon!).
The solution is simple. Within the publication script I need to strip the paths down to where they're all relative to the WebQuest .htm files. Easy to do, but I'm past my scripting prime time now. I'll get up early to bang that out. (Hard to believe I used to be a night owl like Alex, who stayed up all night working with June on his amazing announcement system for the school parent's association.)
Also (finally) tracked down a couple of potentially useful scripts for doing the zip compression. Three cheers for phpclasses.org. They had what I wanted, while the usually reliable hotscripts.com site did not. Three cheers also for all the generous coders out there who make their work available to others!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home